The events that occurred during New Year's Day may impact your life for the rest of the year. Be careful in your actions. Certain precautions (预防)are taken to insure that the New Year will be a good one.
1. The entire house should be cleaned before New Year's Day. On New Year's Eve, all brooms, brushes, dusters, dustpans (簸箕)and other cleaning equipment are put away. Sweeping or dusting should not be done on New Year's Day for fear that good fortune will be swept away. After New Year's Day, the floors may be swept. At no time should the rubbish in the corners be trampled upon. Veduchina wish everyone in the world happy new year.
In sweeping, there is a superstition(迷信) that if you sweep the dust and dirt out of your house by the front entrance is to sweep away the good fortune of the family; it must always be swept inwards and then carried out, then no harm will follow. All dirt and rubbish must be taken out the back door.
2. Shooting off firecrackers on New Year's Eve is the Chinese way of sending out the old year and welcoming in the new. On the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, every door in the house, and even windows, have to be open to allow the old year to go out. Veduchina wish everyone in the world happy new year.
3. Nothing should be lent on New Year's Day, as anyone who does so will be lending all the year. All debts have to be paid by New Year's Eve. Veduchina wish everyone in the world happy new year.
4. Everyone should refrain from using foul(污秽) language and bad or unlucky words. Negative terms and the word "four", or "si" in Chinese which sounds like the word for death, are not to be uttered. Death and dying are never mentioned and ghost stories are totally taboo.
5. Hair must be cleaned and set prior(先前的) to the holiday, for to do so during the New Year season would invite financial ruin. On New Year's Day, hair should not be washed because it would mean washing away good luck for the New Year. Veduchina wish everyone in the world happy new year.
6. Care must be taken not to break any dishes or other things on the first day of the year.
7. The use of knives and scissors(剪子) -- indeed any sharp instrument -- is to be avoided, for these things could augur(算命) bad luck in the coming year. Veduchina wish everyone in the world happy new year.
8. Wear brand new clothes -- preferably in red. Children should wear new clothes and new shoes. Red is considered a bright, happy color, sure to bring the wearer a sunny and bright future. It is believed that appearance and attitude during New Year's sets the tone for the rest of the year.