Part Ⅴ GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY ［15 MIN.］ (来源：www.EnglishCN.com)
There are twenty-five sentences in this section. Beneath each sentence there are four words or phrases marked A, B, C and D. Choose one word or phrase that best completes the sentence.? Mark your answers on your answer sheet.??
41. Acute hearing helps most animals sense the approach of thunderstorm s long before people___.?
A. do B. hear C. do them D. hearing it ?
42. This is an illness that can result in total blindness ___ left u ntreated.?
A. after B. if C. since D.unless ?
43. The central provinces have floods in some years, and ___.?
A. drought in others B. droughts are others? C. while other droughts D. others in drought ?
44. Do help yourself to some fruit,___ you??
A. can't B. don't C. wouldn't D. won't ?
45. There___ nothing more for discussion, the meeting came to an e nd half an hour earlier.?
A. to be B. to have been C. being D. be
46. My mother can't get ___ because she has rheumatism (风湿病). ?
A. about B.on C. through D. in
47. I was very much put ___ by Mark's rude behavior; it really annoy ed me.?
A.over B.off C.up D.by ?
48. You ___ Jim anything about it. It was none of his business.?
A. needn't have told B. needn't tell ? C. mustn't have told D. mustn't tell ?
49. All of us would have enjoyed the party much more if there___ q uite such a crowd of people there.?
A. weren't B. hasn't been C. hadn't been D. w ouldn't be ?
50. Firms that use computers have found that the number of staff ___ quality control can be substantially reduced.?
A.whose B.as C.what D.that ?
51. ___ at in this way, the present economic situation doesn't seem so gloomy.?
A. Looking B. Looked C. Having looked D. To look ?
52. Many people are ___ to insect bites, and some even have to go to hospital.?
A. insensitive B. allergic C. sensible D. infected ?
53. When you're driving on a motorway, you must obey the signs telling you to get into the right ___.?
A.way B.track C.road D.lane ?
54. The motorist had to ___to avoid knocking the old woman down in the middle of the road.?
A. swerve B. twist C. depart D. swing ?
55. In winter drivers have trouble stopping their cars from ___ on icy roads.?
A. skating B. skidding C. sliding D. slipping ?
56. This project would ___ a huge increase in defense spending.?
A. result B. assure C. entail D. accomplish ?
57. The chances of a repetition of these unfortunate events are ___ indeed.?
A. distant B. slim C. unlikely D. narrow ?
58. We should make a clear ___ between 'competent' and 'proficient' for the purposes of our discussion.?
A. separation B. division C. distinction D. diffe rence ?
59. In the present economic ___ we can make even greater progress than previously.?
A. air B. mood C. area D. climate ?