(1)a person, business etc that is having problems and needs help；
(2)president/governor/legislature：(informal)a president, governor etc with no real power because his or her period in office will soon end
(1)duck，也常常用成duck down，含义是“to lower your head or body very quickly, especially to avoid being seen or hit”，躲闪，迅速低下身(头)。
Throwing shoes at somebody is a supreme insult in the Middle East. One of the shoes sailed over the president's head and slammed into the wall behind him and he had to duck to miss the other one. Maliki tried to block the second shoe with his arm.
(2)duck还指“to move somewhere very quickly, especially to avoid being seen or to get away from someone”，快速躲到某处(特别是避免被人看见或逃脱某人)。例如：
The two suspected attackers ducked into a crowded street and soon disappeared.
(3)duck还可以表示“to avoid something, especially a difficult or unpleasant duty”，躲避，推诿，例如：
The CEO of the company ducked a question from a reporter about the revenue of the company last year.
(4) duck还可以表示“to push someone under water for a short time as a joke”，把某人猛地按入水中，例如：
Tom grabbed him from behind to duck him under the surface.
(5)duck out of something是个短语动词，表示“to avoid doing something that you have to do or have promised to do”，逃避承诺或该做的事情。例如：
Some college students always duck out of lessons that do not interest them much.
(1)Mr. Johnson cocked his head and considered the offer that he would be given twice as much as the previous one.
(2)Julia fished around in her purse and pulled out a photo of her lovely daughter.
(3)On hearing that a fire broke out, all the boys quickly ran to the scene to help put it out，but David chickened out.
(4) Jim never comes up with his own ideas. Instead, he just parroted the majority's opinions.
(5) I found Sam in front of the TV, pigging out on pizza and fries.
(6) It’s not just people who dog you. Pets can cheat on their owners too, leaving them for people they like better.
(7) A 26-year-old German art student temporarily foxed police on Saturday by disguising himself as a terracotta warrior and taking up position in the world-famous terracotta army.
(8)Yang Chang could easily wolf down half a kg of rice and 1.5 kg meat at a time before he started to lose weight.
(9)The twins have been monkeying about in the attic again.
(10)Snaking 6,300 km between western China's Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and the East China Sea, the Yangtze River is often said to be the dividing line between North and South China.